Housing Support Worker - Colchester
£18,250 per annum. Sleep in shifts paid at £70.47
Bernard Brett House, Colchester
Job Advert-Role Description
Bernard Brett House provides accommodation for young people at risk and those leaving care. They are aged between the ages of 16-21 years and will receive support before moving on into independent living. Tenants are offered help to develop skills such as budgeting, setting up home and seeking employment or training. Staff also provide advice and support to help tenants gain access to other services and organisations. For example, they will help tenants to access health services, social care or specialist services.
Bernard Brett House is located in Colchester and is within easy reach of the town centre. It provides accommodation for 24 young people. There is one flat which is used as an office and sleep-in area for staff.
- To support tenants who are living in supported accommodation
- To provide practical and emotional support, assisting tenants to achieve independence
- To support tenants in understanding and sustaining their tenancy
- To provide individualised support to tenants so that they are best able to benefit from the service being offered and are able to manage their lives more effectively and achieve personal goals.
- To adhere to assessment and support planning guidelines
- To encourage tenants to participate and engage with staff support by being an excellent communicator, reliable, credible, empathetic and innovative in approach.
- To assist tenants in adhering to the responsibilities of their tenancy and to any specific rules of the scheme.
- To report illegal activity by tenants to the Manager and the Police if appropriate
- To minimise as far as possible conflict and confrontation within the service between tenants and visitors
- To promote the integration of the tenants into the local community
- To provide opportunities by which tenants will be enabled to develop independent living skills
- To provide support and assistance to tenants in achieving their personal goals and aspirations
- To encourage tenants to recognise the benefits of additional support services related to their individual needs and assist them in accessing these services.
- To support tenant to access professional or specialist services where necessary
- To guide the tenant in daily living tasks helping them to develop the skills needed
- To encourage and support tenants to pursue social/recreational activities, training and employment opportunities
- To ensure that tenant participation, involvement and inclusion throughout the service. To ensure the tenant's views are sought and heard in relation to organisation and support issues.
- Involve tenants in the decision making processes whereby individuals and groups take on responsibilities for themselves and others.
- To provide basic welfare benefits advice, including referral to specialist welfare benefit advisors and liaison with benefit agencies as appropriate
- To be aware of the risks that tenants and service users pose to themselves and others and to follow the Risk Assessment and Management procedure
- To adhere to all organisation policies and procedures, giving feedback on content where appropriate
- To be responsibility for personal Health and Safety whilst at work adhering to policy and procedure
- To keep accurate and professional records in line with the protocols of the service
- To maintain service users and company confidentiality
- To adhere to professional boundaries and the Companies Code of Conduct
- To maintain excellent and professional relations with visitors to the scheme and other stakeholders that you come into contact with
- To report to managers any concerns that you may have regarding the quality of the service
- To keep abreast of legal or statutory changes that may impact on the work of the service
- To provide information and reports if requested
- To attend meetings and reviews as required
- To undertake other duties that are reasonably requested by senior staff
Sleep-in duties will be required within this job role and these are paid at a prevailing rate per sleep-in.
This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.